During the week of Tuesday, Sept. 26 through Friday, Sept. 29, I spent almost 40 hours consuming news. Which is… a lot. That’s a full-time job. Considering, however, that my job is to consume and write about the news, this makes sense.

A week of news

Of those total 37 hours, here’s how it broke down each day. I spent much of Wednesday out of the office conducting interviews and later, in class, so my screen time that day was considerably lower than the rest of the week, where it was split fairly evenly.

A week of news (remix)

Here’s a look at Tuesday specifically,

News consumption by type for Tuesday

During my commute in the morning, I typically listen to three newsy podcasts: New York Times’ “The Daily,” NPR’s “Up Front,” both of which cover the big headlines of the day, and The Outline’s “World Dispatch,” which generally covers more off-beat news. Most of my news, though, comes from email newsletters which contain links to outside stories. Here’s how this breaks down.

Inside the circle

The podcasts, in blue, are a good representation of my morning commute. Social media sites like Instagram and Twitter I generally pop into during the day, but by the looks of it, perhaps too often. I used the NOAA image database on Tuesday to find a photo for a story I was working on, and then spent a good portion of the rest of the day reading up on what was happening in the world.

Often, I’ll read through these newsletters in the morning, and open up any stories that catch my eye in a new tab. This means I’ll end up with dozens of open tabs throughout the week, and just read them as I have time. Other times, I’ll search specifically for information on a topic I’m writing about. In this instance, the NYT Morning Briefing newsletter represented only 3 percent of my news diet, but The New York Times website more than 9 percent. That’s because I was searching specifically for stories about Puerto Rico for a piece I was writing.

Note: I used a Chrome extension called “Time Tracker” as well as manual time tracking via my browser history to determine my time spent on certain sites and activities.