This page is focused on frameworks and guidelines for designing and creating spatial visualizations and working with geographic data for analysis.
- Northeastern Library Subject Guide – Guides to using spatial datasets, using GIS, and other visualization software. Run by the Northeastern library Senior Data Analyst Bahare Sanaie-Movahed.
- Open Source GIS Tools – Links to free, open source GIS software like Teach GIS, GRASS, and Quantum GIS among many others.
- QGIS Tutorials – A collection of tutorials for using the open-source GIS software QGIS from basic introductions to advanced tools written by Ujaval Gandhi.
- Mapping with Tableau tutorials:
- How to Build an Interactive County-Level Map in Tableau – A tutorial on how to make an interactive map in Tableau by Northeastern’s School of Journalism Storybench.
- Creating a Map with Tableau – A tutorial on how to build basic maps and filter the map in different ways. Written by Miriam Posner of UCLA.
- 3 Ways to Make Magnificent Maps in Tableau – Tutorials on using Tableau to make dual-axis maps, integrating with MapBox, and adding data at different levels of analysis. Written by Ryan Sleeper of PlayfairData.
- Mapping with R tutorials:
- Making Maps with R – A chapter of Geocomputation with R on how to create maps with R packages. Written by Robin Lovelace.
- Introduction to Visualizing Spatial Data in R – An article on spatial data in R. Written by Robin Lovelace, et al.
- Making Maps with R – Material from a “Reproducible Research Course” on making maps in R. Written by Eric C. Anderson of NOAA/SWFSC.
- Drawing Beautiful Maps Programmatically with R, sf, and ggplot2 – An R tutorial that teaches how to draw maps in R using the popular sf and ggplot2 packages. Written by Mel Moreno and Mathieu Basille.
- Sketchup – 3D Modelling Software for Architecture, Interior Design, and Spatial Visualizations.
- Carto – A proprietary web spatial analysis and mapping platform with free student trials.
- Becoming a Spatial Data Scientist – E-book guide on how to use Carto mapping software.
- Boston Housing Data – Mapping data specific to Boston and its suburbs.
- United States Census Data – Geocoded data from the United States Census Bureau.
- USGS GIS Data – Source of mapping data provided by the United States Geological Survey.
- GIS Shapefiles Database – Repository of mapping data from a variety of sources and agencies.
- GIS Datasets – Links to a variety of GIS datasets assembled for the Northeastern Library’s GIS subject guide.