In this section, we answer the following questions regarding the technologies that we offer:
- Which technologies are ready to be used in my research study?
- Does this technology measure what I need to measure?
- What if I want to use a device or measurement that isn’t listed?
Which technologies are ready for implementation?
The following devices are currently or will soon be integrated with NUCoach, our health coaching platform:
- Fitbit, any model – fitness and sleep activity trackers
- Misfit, any model – fitness and sleep activity trackers
- Emfit QS – unobtrusive bed sensor for sleep monitoring with respiration and heart rate variability
- Microsoft Band 2 – fitness and sleep wristband that measures skin conductance and heart rate. Requires the use of the Microsoft Band and Deep Health apps
- Firstbeat Bodyguard 2 – mobile EKG device, can collect up to a week of heart rate data
- Cognitive games – computer games with embedded analytics that can measure a variety of cognitive health indicators over time
- Motion sensors – indicates presence, position, movement; measures walking speed
- Contact switches – indicates when doors, windows, or drawers are open/closed
- Sensored caddy – custom built caddy fitted with force sensitive resistors (FSR) and a Raspberry Pi computer to detect pressure when an item is placed on the FSR
Does this technology measure what I need to measure?
Using the devices listed above, we can currently measure or infer the following:
- Gait speed
- Heart rate/HR variability
- Electrodermal activity (EDA, aka GSR)
- Sleep time
In bed only:
- Sleep cycles (awake, light, deep sleep)
- Time to fall asleep
- Sleep efficiency
- Bed exits
In the near future:
- Body fat percentage
- Blood pressure
- Blood oxygen
- Tooth brushing
What if I want to use a device or measurement that isn’t listed?
Adding a new device will require supporting our software developers to integrate the new technology into the existing system. A consultation with the Technology and Analysis Core is recommended.