Our Programs » Teacher Development » Afterschool Programs »

Summer Academy

Our Algebra Plus Summer Academy provides students with 5 weeks of instruction, combining hands-on learning with practical methods for doing everyday math. In addition, the Academy is a fun environment for students. Within the last several years, more than 880 students have significantly improved their scores on mastery of both review work (concepts covered within the current school year) and enrichment work (concepts that will be covered in the coming school year). Click here to see a video produced by Boston After School and Beyond featuring our Summer Academy.

Our results speak for themselves

• 98% of students demonstrated new strategies to solve math problems
  • 95% improved their relationships with peers and adults, an indicator of resiliency
  • 100% of parents surveyed feel that the summer program was a very positive experience for their child and would recommend it to a friend

For five consecutive years, MathPOWER has participated in an initiative known as the Boston Summer Learning Project. As part of this Initiative, the Summer Academy has expanded to welcome 125 students from ten high schools within the Boston area.

Learn more about and register for our 2016 Algebra Plus Summer Academy.

Caregiver Feedback:

“I just want to say THANK YOU! to you and all those who were involved in the MathPower program. My great granddaughter was sooo excited she told everyone that she was in College for the summer. I also appreciate the fact that all those involved must really care about these children and their future, seeing that they spend their summer teaching and helping them when they could be somewhere else. Thanks to those who sponsored the program so that the children could have an opportunity of fun and learning. [My great granddaughter] is really looking forward to next summer.”

Your program has helped [my son] tremendously, and he wakes up every morning [during the Academy] enthusiastic!  You have a great staff of teachers, and we can’t wait to return next summer.”

“[My daughter] loves it; she talks about all the things she does during her club time, and she’s so happy that she’s getting a lot of help with her Math. I’m so happy with this program; it helped my older daughter with math, and I know is going to help [my younger daughter] too!”

“I want to say thank you again.  [My daughter] is doing great in Math.  She has A’s in quizzes and tests and enjoys taking the class.  What a difference from last year when she struggled in her math class.  This year she is doing great.  I know that your staff and the time that she spent in the program influence this year for her.”

“[My daughter] benefited from the program a lot last year.  She enjoyed the program and only had positive experiences with the students and staff at the program.  [My daughter] had a hard time in the 7th grade; however, in the 8th grade so far she has a B+.”

A Summer Academy Success Story

One of our former Summer Academy students, Chrismelin Jimenez, is now a TORCH Scholar at Northeastern University.  He remains involved with MathPOWER as a volunteer and personifies the impact that we hope to have on our students.  Click the image below to read his story.

Chris Jimenez 2

Boston Summer Learning Project
2013 Video

video
Boston After School & Beyond highlighted our 2013 Algebra Plus Summer Academy in this promotional video.

Learning Defies the Boundaries of Space and Time

Two clubs offered during Summer Academy 2013 showed youth that their education can allow them to literally defy gravity.

Read more »

Partners Launch Boston Learns Together Initiative

It takes a village to raise a child. We are proud to collaborate with Boston Afterschool and Beyond and 40+ orgs in Boston Learns Together initiative.

Read more »

Puzzle of the Week

I am thinking of one of these five cards:

Which one am I thinking of? Here are some clues:

Click here for the answer »

Here is how to follow the clues:

1. The value of my card is a prime number, so it could have been 7 of clubs, 7 of diamonds, or 2 of hearts.
  2. The values of my two neighbours add up to a multiple of 3, so it could have been 7 of diamonds or 2 of hearts.
  3. My card is next to a card which is next to the 2 of hearts, so it could only be the 2 of hearts.

Puzzle credit: Mathsisfun.com

×
Would you like to register for Math Games?

Are you looking to engage students in learning and fun through a variety of
skill-based math games?

rsz_12_sided_dice_challenge

At any one of our Math Games workshops, you will learn how to play the games,
when to use them, and for which particular students.
We offer grade band workshops: Early education/child care,
Elementary K-5, Middle School 6-8.

Click Here to Register Today!

×