Associate ProfessorJoint appointment at Department of Mechanical & Industrial Engineering &
Department of Electrical & Computer EngineeringDirector, SICA-LAB
418 Interdisciplinary Science & Engineering Complex (ISEC) (Office)
334 Egan Center (SICA-LAB)
360 Huntington Avenue, Boston, MA 02115
- -PhD (2005), Electrical Engineering, University of Vigo (Spain)
Our research work is focused on multi-coded, high-capacity sensing and imaging systems for security, health and sustainability applications.
- -Autonomous swarm of drones operating under uncertainty
- -Explosives detection: portal-based, standoff-based, and underground-based
- -Subsurface sensing, imaging, and learning for accurate situational awareness
- -Multimodal breast cancer detection: x-ray and thermoacoustic-tomography
- -Non-Destructive Testing (NDT) using mechanical and electromagnetic waves
- -Micro-sized microwave atmospheric sounding satellites
- -Computational modeling of acoustic and electromagnetic waves through complex media, including analysis and design of electromagnetic and acoustic metamaterials and sensors.
- -Physics-based signal processing and machine learning, including compressive sensing based imaging and optimization.
- -Microwave, millimeter wave and acoustic robotic and mechatronic system design and integration.
- -High-performance computing in multi-core architectures.
- -Mathematical Methods for Engineers
- -Statistics and Probability, and Machine Learning
- -Electromagnetic and Acoustic Fields and Waves
- -Antennas and Radiation
Honors and Awards
- –2017 NSF Early CAREER recipient: “CAREER: 4D mm-Wave Compressive Sensing and Imaging at One Thousand Volumetric Frames per Second.”
- -“Best paper award” on the 2016 European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, Davos, Switzerland. Awarded for the paper: “Characterization and 3D Imaging of Red Blood Cells.”
- -“Best Paper Award” on the 2015 (47th) Annual Meeting of the American Burn Association for the paper: “Difficult-to-perform Burn Debridement Surgery can be assisted with Quantitative Optical Imaging Techniques.”
- -“Best Paper Award” on the 2014 European Conference on Antennas and Propagation , The Hague, The Netherlands, for the paper: “A compressed sensing-based imaging system.”
- -“Best Paper Award” on the 2012 IEEE Homeland Security Technology Conference, Waltham, MA, for the paper: “A Compressed Sensing Approach for Detection of Explosive Threats at Standoff Distances using a Passive Array of Scatters.”
- –First prize on the 2012 National Security Innovation Competition (NSIC). Advisor for students that presented our research project: “Next Generation Millimeter-Wave Body Imaging for Concealed Threat Detection,” University of Colorado, Colorado Springs (UCCS).
- –Paper featured in the cover page: J. G. Meana, J. A. Martinez-Lorenzo, et al, “DIRECT: deterministic radio-electric coverage tool,” IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, 53(2):135–145, April 2011.
- –Paper featured in the cover page: J. A. Martinez-Lorenzo, et al. “ICARA: Induced Current Analysis of Reflector Antennas.” IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, 47(2):92–100, March 2005.
- -American Society of Mechanical Engineers International (ASME)
- -IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society (AP-S)
- -IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMB-S)
- -IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Society (GRS-S)
- -IEEE Aerospace and Electronic Systems Society (AES-S)
- -IEEE Microwave Theory and Techniques Society (MTT-S)