Please refer to the following documents for more information about lab reports:
- IPL Lab Report Template
- IPL Lab Report Guide
- IPL Sample Lab Report
- Guide for Exp. 1 – Measurement lab report (NEW)
- Turnitin Lab Report Submission Instructions
- Use the IPL Lab Report Template.
- Use proper units (preferably SI) and proper significant figures for all quantities.
- Write in crisp English, in essay form, but concise.
- Type equations in equation editor.
- Save as PDF, then submit to Turnitin.
- Email the Turnitin receipt to your TA.
Lab Report must be well-structured, with the following sections:
- Prelab Quiz (5 pts):
– Complete prior, turn in at the beginning of class.
- Title Page:
– Include experiment’s title, your / partner’s / TA’s names, date.
- Introduction (10 pts):
– State motivation – why you did this work?
– Describe physics phenomena and methods of study.
– Cover all investigations, keep short.
- Experimental Data (25 pts):
– For each investigation: Discuss experimental set-up.
– Explain experimental procedure.
– Describe how the data were collected.
– Include all data using graphs/tables, with titles.
– If needed, include truncated raw data into Appendix.
- Analysis (40 pts):
– Summarize physics concepts under investigation.
– Discuss relation between data and theory.
– Describe techniques used to analyze data.
– Discuss sources/values of uncertainties in your measurement.
– Write down main results with uncertainties.
– Compare measured quantities to expected values.
– Discuss if they match or not your expectations.
– List the unaccounted factors in your analysis.
– Argue why and how external factors may affect the results.
- Conclusion (10 pts):
– List physical concepts that have been investigated.
– Summarize all main results that you obtained.
– Discuss how external factors might have skewed the results.
– Discuss possible improvements.
– Keep to half a page.
- Questions (10 pts):
– Answer all questions at the end of experiment in the IPL Manual.
– Type all necessary algebra, not just the answer.
– Honors sections must answer extra question.
– Summarize motivation and main results.
– Acknowledge your partner, your TA.
– List the references that you used.