(enough for 6 persons, cooking time: 50-60 mins)
- 8 medium potatoes, boiled, peeled and sliced into 0.5 cm (1/4-inch) disks
- 1 tablespoon (20 ml) olive oil
- 1 tablespoon (20 ml) melted butter
- 3/4 teaspoon (3 ml) yellow asafoetida powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 ml) ground dried rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 ml) freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ( 2 ml) turmeric
- 3 cups (750 ml) sour cream
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) water
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) sweet paprika
- 2 tablespoons (40 ml) chopped fresh parsley
- Boil the potato slices in lightly salted water in a 4-litre/quart saucepan until they are cooked but firm. Drain, peel and slice them.
- Add the olive oil and butter to a medium saucepan, over moderate heat and when hot, add the asafoetida. Saute momentarily; add the rosemary, black pepper, and turmeric and stir briefly. Add the sour cream, salt, and water. Whisk it into a smooth sauce and remove from the heat.
- Pour the mixture into a baking dish with potatoes, sprinkle with paprika, and place in the top of a preheated 200°C/390°F oven. Bake for 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Garnish with fresh parsley and serve hot.
Note: In this dish, slices of potato are folded with herbs, butter, and sour cream and baked to a golden brown. It is irresistibly rich and delicious, yet effortless to prepare.