(enough for 4 persons; cooking time: 30 – 40 minutes)
- 1 cup rice
- 3 cups of water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons (any) oil
- 1/2 cup cashew
- 1/2 tablespoon urad dal
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup fresh or dried coconut
- Wash rice in running water. Keep 3 cups of water, salt and rice for boiling on high heat.
- When the water starts to boil, reduce the heat to medium for 15-20 minutes. You may close the lid for last 5-10 minutes when the water has evaporated.
- Take out one grain of rice and if it can be easily pressed without any graininess, it means it is done.
- Heat the oil in a small saucepan and saute cashews.
- Then add urad dal and mustard seeds. Saute them till urad dal become little brown in color.
- Switch the stove off and add turmeric and coconut.
- Add the mixture to the pot of rice, along with lemon juice and fresh cilantro.
- Carefully mix everything so that the spices are mixed well with in every portion of the rice and rice does not get mushed.